A look at process

I wanted to show something start-to-finish (sort of...I generally feel that all of my finished pieces can be changed or reworked in some way, but that's another story) since my process has been pretty consistent this semester.

This was for Editorial Illustration for an article about "The Secret." (Oprah's big on it.) I started with a concept sketch.

I noodled with the gesture and the composition of the figures then inked the piece. I scanned the inks and did a color study.

This came out reasonably well except that it looks like a backyard party. I tried to tone down the colors a bit for the final, which I did (for once) right on top of the ink in acrylic, watercolor glazes, and gauche.

The creatures turned out, I think, a little too adorable to really be the destructive and burdensome secrets we all carry around, but I think the piece has promise overall.

More blog news: I need to take some photos, but I have some 3d work (and, uh, knitting) to show off in the next couple of days.

No comments: