2.09.2010

Eloise is now a Textbook Illustrator


It's true! I finished illustrating Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2 way back in November, but got to pick up my copies of the book just last week.

I'm still a little giddy about it, especially this:

Proof! And the illustrations look great! The color translated well, and they didn't have to do too many post-production fixes.



Looking at the book, I feel lucky that I was given this opportunity, that the publisher liked my work (and my personality) enough to commit to the entire book. But I also see all of the work I poured into it. Over the three months it took to produce the 140 illustrations for the textbook and workbook, I skipped a lot of outings, a lot of sleep, and a lot of knitting time. But it was totally, totally worth it.

Plus, I was allowed to indulge for a couple of illustrations. For instance, my tendency to draw lots and lots and lots of stuff:

and adorable animals:

and, if called upon to create a female character that spends too much time staying up late and studying, to draw pale, skinny brunettes:



I also learned a lot, especially about anatomy, and how there isn't any shame in needing a reference photo or two. They are useful, and occasionally hilarious.


Oh, and I drew a whole lot of bicycles.


*All illustrations (except the watercolor, a nice exercise in looseness after three months of very solid digital illustrations) copyright Cheng & Tsui.