12.22.2007

I've Recovered from Finals Enough to Post Something!

I'm taking a break from furious Christmas/holiday knitting to post my finals for Style and Substance. The first is a book cover for a short story, The Dead Man. It's a digital collage; two watercolor and ink pieces combined. This is more free-form (and, clearly, less narrative) than what I've been doing lately. I'm not in love with it, but it was an interesting experiment.



Our second final for the class was, I thought, a really excellent assignment. Each person is given a word to illustrate. The rest of the class chooses the word; it's supposed to be completely incompatible with what they've been doing the whole semester.



My word was "vile." This is watercolor, ink, and gauche, as usual. I put down a pink watercolor wash first, like a monochromatic underpainting, which I haven't done in a while. It was a bit of a challenge to get other colors to pop on top of the pink, but the gauche saved me. I'm going to experiment more with this soon.

No comments: